Friday, May 6, 2011

First The Good News...

Yes, it has been a bit since my last post. No, it doesn't mean anything bad has happened. It's only due to my being, as my grandma used to say, "busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest". Work has been long days for both of us & stressful days for me this past several weeks since we were going through an "accepting applications & taking all the phone calls that are a result of that, doing interviews, second interviews & ultimately hiring a new person to replace an employee that's leaving us in June" phase. All of that craziness is on top of the normal everyday craziness. Couple that with not feeling so swift several times for different reasons & it boils down to not really wanting to be on the computer or do, well, much of anything. So that's about what I've done, not much of anything. 

Our weigh & measure day on April 27th had both of us celebrating! Ryan had lost two more pounds. I had lost three. Ryan was glad he finally broke the plateau he'd been on & I, well I, FINALLY, got under 200. I was in, to quote another blogger I follow, 
ONE-derland!! 197. It just sounds better than 2something. Measurements were a bit lower but nothing to go insane over. The celebration was short lived.
This past weigh day (no measuring) on May 4th, it went in the toilet. Ryan had gained back his previously lost two pounds & I had reacquired my three. Not so great. Audrey says there are possibly several reasons this happened but I'm thinking it was mainly not always doing what we should be doing. We have both had late work nights. His have been much later than mine. These late nights have killed a few workouts. Plus, he had several nights where he just didn't feel good. Bad stomachache, headache & such. I just wasn't feeling the few workouts we did go do. I started having a bad pain in the back of my lower thigh right above my knee a while back. First it happened in the right leg. It hurt so bad I thought I'd pulled something but, since I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, like pretending to be a Rockette, I knew I couldn't have pulled it. Then a few days later the left one started up. Audrey has told me what it is & how to try to help it. I did just some of what she said & it seemed to help, no more pain. Until I got back on the treadmill after a couple days off. There it was just glaring at me & gloating. So I worked through it that day but the next day it just wasn't happening. I did a workout that consisted of several different exercises & even using some weights & all was good. Then I got on the treadmill where all I had to do was walk 35 minutes. Sounds easy right? No, it was not. After about 12 minutes my legs hurt so bad it was all I could do to stand. So what does my smart self do?? I get on the Cybex machine. For those who may not know, the Cybex is very similar to an elliptical. You look like you're doing a funny walk but your feet are on large pedals & moving similar to an elliptical. I did 5 minutes & almost could not step off of the stupid thing. I've done 20-25 minutes on it before so I KNOW I can do more than 5! I was so angry & disappointed in myself. I went slinking over to the mat, did my stretches (almost in tears because of pain AND embarrassment) & then waited for Ryan to finish his workout which he not only finished but did extra. Overachiever! I'm really proud of him so I'm only kidding about the "overachiever" comment. Kinda.
He was irritated with me because I was being so down on myself for not doing well & since I was "injured" I shouldn't be, but it's hard to not be disappointed when you know you can do so much better. After that it was all downhill. My eating this past 6 days, due to work, stress & just plain ol' bad choices, was either very low calorie (not good), or more than I should have & not always the best food choices (also not good). We haven't worked out almost all this past week. We were going to try to go to the gym tonight, technically last night (Thursday) since it's after 2:00a.m. on Friday now, but that didn't happen. Hopefully tonight (Friday) it will. Ryan told me that he's actually glad for the break we've had because he was feeling kind of burnt out. Maybe I was too. We didn't take a total break though, have TRIED to keep the food somewhat in check.
I'm not holding my breath on making it back to the gym tonight though. As I sit here, awake at 2:41a.m., I have a very scratchy sore throat, no voice at all & what feels to be a fever. I've been voiceless for two days (Wednesday & Thursday) with tomorrow not looking good as well. I'm over it. I want to get back on the track I was on. 
I know that a 20 year habit of sitting on your ass & eating an unhealthy diet is hard to break but I will break it. I also need to get my sleep in check. I guess that means earlier bed times & Ambien CR more often! This will not beat me, I will win.

On the upside, one of my small victories that I'm celebrating is that I did eat right yesterday (Thursday). Audrey says to celebrate the invisible victories so, YAY! Go me!!   

1 comment:

  1. YEA!!! yes, CELEBRATE!!! I'll see you in 4 days, we'll work it all out and especially figure out those sore legs. Stay Strong! Get Well

    ReplyDelete